Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Day 9...A perspective on Love

I guess this is really an extension of the previous day, but I feel the Lord impressing this idea on my heart. What does love mean from a practical perspective? How do we show love to a lost and dying world? Especially because we know that this world has no concept of the truth that is love. Countless individuals and pagan religions over the centuries have found pieces of this truth, and tried to explain it (maybe even use it)...so what is the full picture of love for us to show to the world?

John 14: 15-24

15 “If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.

21 “He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him.” 22 Judas (not Iscariot) said to Him, “Lord, what then has happened that You are going to disclose Yourself to us and not to the world?” 23 Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him. 24 “He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine, but the Father’s who sent Me.

This is such a practical application for Love...isn't it? Is it possible for us to view love from a practical perspective? In these verses we are told that the most perfect application for love is to keep the Word and commandments of God. It goes beyond my pre-conceived notions about selflessness because that is only a sub-category in the framework of keeping His commandments. Wow! There is so much depth to that concept. It truly requires that our entire being get involved. So then...true love will not be easy to show and/or explain to the world. It will take something beyond our capacity to accomplish (the Spirit maybe?). And I fully understand that there are a million ways to debate this, but for me...I want God to know that I love Him. We spend alot of time looking for absolute direction...so there it is. I must make every effort to keep in step with His commands.

Father, thank you for your perfect commandments. Thank you that I have the opportunity to show you how much that I love you. Keep me accountable to these standards, and help me live out your love in a practical way. Guard my heart from the tempation to make up my own rules, and discipline me when I go astray. In Jesus name I pray.

No comments: