Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Day 16...Grace and Cost

Today was awesome! Lots of time walking with the Lord. I wanted to write a short blurb on Grace because I was reminded of something today. The grace of God is not meant to be a license to live as we please, but rather the possibility that we may be justified in the eyes of God without being bound by the law. It enables us to fulfill the law...not to break it. And because we can't possibly fulfill the law on our own, we must give all credit to Him (Eph 2:8-9). This is something to always keep in mind.

I was also reminded of the cost we incur for freedom thru Christ. It is such a popular notion to think that a life in Christ is easy or effortless, and that we have no obligation other than to profess that he is Lord. But what happens when it starts to cost us friendships, time, energy, ect? What happens when we get to the point where we are not energized by positive emotion? Jesus clearly states multiple times in scripture that we have to count the cost of following Him:

27 And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple. 28 "Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Will he not first sit down and estimate the cost to see if he has enough money to complete it? 29For if he lays the foundation and is not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule him, 30saying, 'This fellow began to build and was not able to finish.' 31 "Or suppose a king is about to go to war against another king. Will he not first sit down and consider whether he is able with ten thousand men to oppose the one coming against him with twenty thousand? 32 If he is not able, he will send a delegation while the other is still a long way off and will ask for terms of peace. 33 In the same way, any of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be my disciple.

I find this very difficult to ask myself...have I counted the cost? Can I finish the race? Will I endure to the end? My endless prayer is that the Spirit will assist me in my daily walk, and that I will live a life worthy of the grace that he has offered me.

No comments: