Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Day 8...Fatherhood

I really don't know what I did today...I certainly spent some time talking about God, but I didn't really spend much time with Him. I feel like I need to apologize for not doing what I said I would. Man, it is so easy to get sidetracked...to pull yourself away from just being still before God. I see the consequences of this action. I simply didn't get to hear anything today...I missed out on that blessing.

I did have some time to think though. Thank God that He still helps me to think about things even when I avoid Him. Today I was thinking about what Fatherhood means. I don't know if I am going to be a good father, but I had two great examples. I have been blessed with a great earthly father and an even greater heavenly Father. What I found in common with the two is unconditional, consistent love. I mean love that doesn't change with the times or what is popular, but a true preference for another person's highest well-being. I guess that means quite a few different things in the realm of action and words. I guess Paul's letter to the Corinthians (13:4-7) says it best:

"4 Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, 5 does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, 6 does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things."

Lord help me to be a good Father in the days to come. Prepare my heart to display the most consistent example of love that I can. Forgive me today for losing my time with you. Use me this week in any way that you see fit. I want to please you as my perfect Father. I will do my best to honor you with my words and actions. You are great and gracious. Amen.

No comments: